According to the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Star program, leaky ducts in attics or crawlspaces can account for 20 percent or more of a home’s heating and cooling energy losses. This results in higher utility bills for you and difficulty keeping your house comfortable.
A few signs you may have leaky ducts are if you have:
- High utility bills in summer and winter
- Difficult-to-heat-and-cool rooms
- Stuffy rooms that never seem to feel comfortable
- Attic, crawlspace, or garage ducts
- Tangled or kinked flexible ducts in your system
What Can You Do About Leaky Ducts?
Run your system, and check all the ducts and joints you can access. You can seal these yourself with mastic or foil-backed tape. You should also seal around where the duct meets the wall. Duct tape is actually not recommended for duct work, and any fabric-backed tape will deteriorate over time. If you have questions about appropriate tape call us at 702-324-0670 or talk to a representative at your local hardware store.